Welcome to day 20 of 31 Days of Apocalypse, Now, a month of posts about apocalypse, revelation, uncovering what’s been hidden. Each post will look at these ideas from its own vantage point, which may not obviously connect with the others, and which may only peripherally seem related. I won’t attempt to tie the posts together. They’ll all be listed here, as they are posted.
favourite web tools revealing what’s going on right now:
- map and listing of the latest earthquakes in the U.S. over 2.5 magnitude
- Earth: an animated map of current global wind and weather
- find sunrise/sunset today anywhere in the world
- current events today, worldwide (Wikipedia)
- worldometers: real-time statistics using computer algorithym, including world population, public healthcare expenditure today, cars produced this year, emails sent today, Google searches today, forest loss this year (hectares), CO2 emissions this year (tons), obese people in the world, solar energy striking Earth today (MWh), days to the end of oil, abortions this year, road traffic accident fatalities this year, lots more.
- go to Google Earth and click on the dice (fourth in the left-hand list), to be taken to a random place in the world
- real-time webcam for Times Square, New York
- real-time webcam for Puerta del Sol, Madrid, Spain
- watch the Northern Lights (aurora borealis) live in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada; operational at night and mostly not in the summer
- South Pole live camera
- live Monterey Bay (CA) cam (24-hour), from Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Cayman reef cam (Caribbean)
- mesmerising live jellyfish cam (7 a.m.–6 p.m. Pacific Time), , from Monterey Bay Aquarium
- view the Earth from the International Space Station, Live; if that’s not available, try 5 hours ago
- Old Faithful geyser live-streaming webcam (Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming)
- St. Augustine (FL) Alligator Farm Zoological Park, including roseate spoonbills and other wading birds
- live webcam of Rehoboth Beath, DE, boardwalk (49 other U.S. beach cams)
- Big Rig Travels: Follow BigRig Steve as he drives his 18-wheeler around the U.S. Live webcam (sometimes he’s just stopped over night), map of current trip, blog, video of previous trips, lots of extras.